Peavey Delta Blues Upgrade Advice?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Peavey Delta Blues Upgrade Advice?

Postby Bryan B. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi All,

I just purchased a new Peavey Delta Blues 115 amplifier and am looking for advice as to what upgrades are needed (if any) to achieve a Standel 25L15 sound.
The amp already sounds good with the big 15" "Blue Marvel " speaker but I am wondering how it sounds after installing a JBL D130 speaker as some have done.
It already has JJ output tubes in it and I will probably replace the preamp tubes with JJ tubes as well.I have had good results with JJ tubes in other amplifiers.

I want a good smooth Standel sound but don't want to waste money "chasing tone".

Thank you

Bryan
Bryan B.

Re: Peavey Delta Blues Upgrade Advice?

Postby DLM » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Bryan, I bought a Weber JBL copy and installed it in my Peavey Delta Blues. I'm very satisfied with the sound. It is more smooth than the Peavey speaker, which is more for blues.
Dan
DLM

Postby jim fuqua » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 pm

hey brian i also just got my peavey blues amp and i think it sounds great all i added was a exciter to itmgives it a warm tone i think// jim
jim fuqua

Postby tyguy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:36 pm

JJ's are fine tubes and as stated the Weber speaker JBL is fantastic.If the amp has printed circuit boards,It'd be hard to modify to make it cleaner sounding.I hope the tubes and spkr. do the trick for you. God Bless, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby jay » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 pm

The problem I had with mine was tube rattle. Drove me crazy. I tried every trick under the sun...i could still hear them. Not sure if it afflicts all DB/s but you put a big ol 15" speaker under some tubes and start thumping E...not sure how you get away from it.
jay kantor
jay

Postby tyguy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm

jay wrote:The problem I had with mine was tube rattle. Drove me crazy. I tried every trick under the sun...i could still hear them. Not sure if it afflicts all DB/s but you put a big ol 15" speaker under some tubes and start thumping E...not sure how you get away from it.

Get yourself a tiny(wee)flat blade screwdriver(one that will fit behind socket tab you are going to bend).Remove the tubes and tension the tube sockets by pushing in the tab on the pin socket a little with the screwdriver blade(put the blade straight down behind the pin socket,careful not to bend in too much or tube pins won't fit back in).If the amp has printed circuit boards be careful with too much pressure and take your time or you'll crack the circuits.While you're at it clean the sockets with contact cleaner or denatured alcohol.The tubes now will be very tight with no rattle and the amp might sound better with the retension.Make sure the cleaner is dry before turning amp on.I make mistake of turning on with wet sockets "once" and got a real light show.This retensioning is normal,routine maintenance on a tube amp.An important point!Unplug the amp and drain off high voltage before procedure!Note:JJ's had 6L6's for awhile that had smaller than normal pins.Anyway retensioning will fix and you'll be good to go. God bless, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Dan Smith » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:53 pm

A few years ago Paul Yandell posted some instructions on changing the speaker in the Delta Blues amplifier. I don't know if that information has been carried over to the new board or not. It was pretty easy. If I can do it anyone can do it. I think the amplifier sounds much better with the JBL D130 than with the Blue Marvel. I was initially skeptical that I would notice a difference. But after I did the changeout I was quite pleased with the improvement in tone. This is the amplifier I use all the time. Unfortunately I don't have a Standel so I can't do an A-B comparison. One thing to watch for though is when you take out the speaker or put the new speaker in be careful that the magnet doesn't attract to the metal housing inside the case or the speaker might contact a screw head and poke a hole in the cone.

Good luck,
Dan
Dan Smith

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 am

To avoid buying an expensive amplifier just to change the speaker, are there amps with the JBL D130 installed already? Or is this excellent speaker only available separately? Just wondering.
Vidar Lund

Postby bill park » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 am

Vidar Lund wrote:To avoid buying an expensive amplifier just to change the speaker, are there amps with the JBL D130 installed already? Or is this excellent speaker only available separately? Just wondering.

Fender used the D130 in some of their amps (Dual Showman, for example) back in the 60's, but the speaker has been out of production for decades. It's difficult to find one in good shape.
bill park

Postby chanavin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 am

I never saw the original note from Paul about changing the speaker, but I recommend taking the AMP
chassis out of cabinet before removing/installing speaker. Also, have good lighting and don't be in hurry.
Its easy to poke a hole through the speaker, I know from experience!
chanavin

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins