What song is my uncle playing on this home recording?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

What song is my uncle playing on this home recording?

Postby withabeat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out what song this is. I have a couple of tapes from the sixties that include guitar played by my uncle, who played a good bit of Chet material. We have not been able to identify this one, which may not be a Chet song but this message board seemed like a good place to tap into the collective memory for stuff like this.

Thanks, everyone!

Britt B.

http://www.withabeat.com/web/sounds/ElwynSong/WhatSongIsThis.mp3
withabeat

Re: What song is my uncle playing on this home recording?

Postby Terry Tolley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time...nor would it be the last!) but it sounds like "Why Don't You Leave Me Alone", written by Bill Stevens. There is another song of the same name by Hank Williams III that is NOT the same. I think Chet did this tune...but it may have been one of his early vocals. Not sure about that either. Someone with better ears could correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't heard that song in many years, so I may be confusing the melodies, but it is very similar to my ears.
Terry Tolley

Postby withabeat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:45 pm

I was able to hear a 30 second sample of "Why Don't You Leave Me Alone" at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Guitar-Complete-Recordings-1955-1960/dp/B00061H222/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1323739902&sr=8-5

but it didn't seem like the same song even though I only heard the vocal part. I waded through the many samples from that album (Complete 1955-60) looking for a match. Thanks for trying!
withabeat

Postby Norm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:52 pm

May have been his own. It uses the popular cycle of fifths progression that a lot of songs were based on Back In The Day
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:05 pm

HI this song sound just like rolling sky by jimmy hope this help i don't Know if anyone eles has recoded it.
Brian

Postby punchdrunque » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 pm

I think the song is a version of Mona Lisa. After I posted seperately I found your posting again... so we have a double posting by me regarding this post.
punchdrunque

Postby Norm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:42 am

I think the song is a version of Mona Lisa..."

Nah. Chord structure isn't the same as ML. This tune is just straight tin pan alley cycle of fifths chording.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 pm

I just listen to this song and rolling sky back to back it has the same melody but i could be wrong
Brian

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins