Time To Smell the Roses…

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Time To Smell the Roses…

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 pm

One of the major problems of being an ADHD adult all my life is that sometimes (most times (8*) you forget (too busy thinking of something else) to thank somebody that gives you a compliment. In fact, a lot of times (such as this) we never even gave it a thought that is was a compliment in the first place. Well, I couldn’t think of anybody else to burden with this story, so I figured I’d try it on youz folks – as, I know a couple of you will enjoy it.

Preface

There’s this perky little lady out in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky that most of you CAAS attendees will know because she sits behind the Kentucky booth out in the lobby every year – every day – all day long – as a volunteer trying to raise money for their Merle Travis tribute back in Muhlenberg County – Paradise Park. She’s also a volunteer and/or attendee at just about every event out that way, also. And, I’m sure behind the scenes she was instrumental in “stirin’ the pot” in helping secure the funds for the beautiful new Travis Center at the Park. At least grabbing the ear of her son, Judge Rod Kirtley, and making sure he did the right things. (lol) Of course, I’m talking about the lovely Marilyn Kirtley.

Epic Story

Last spring Marilyn told a few of us that she had a “Bucket List” and that on that list was “driving the whole length of Route 62.” “I’m gonna start up in Buffalo and drive south/west until it’s all gone,” she proudly announced with the energy and high spirits that would have suggested that she could have walked the damned thing.. LOL Then, she looked me right in the eye and told me she was going to coordinate her trip so that she could stop over in Columbus, Ohio so that she could come to one of my weekly OFGC Tues Night Club Jams at “the coffee house.” I didn’t even know Route 62 came through here!!!

Soooo, time has flown since then and as I type this “post” she’s just about two hours from arriving here in Columbus – and, as a disgustingly sloppy bachelor I have been feverishly cleaning my house for several days (well, pickin’ n’ golf had to get in there, too) so she won’t “know” that I’m “really” a slob. Which, is all done – and, as I plopped down to my computer to rest and “git ma’ messages” it dawned on me that Marilyn’s inclusion of me and my club jam at the “coffee house” in her “bucket list” is a COMPLIMENT!!!! DUH!

(Now, if I can just remember to thank her when she gets here. (LOL)

If any of you Chetboarders live within an hour (or, so) of Columbus you might want to come on over to Scotties, 660 High St, Worthington, Ohio tonight between 7 – 10 to greet our visiting Bucket Lister. Tons of pickers are going to be there: JD Norman, Tom Mathys, Frank McDonald, and Pete Tipton. Even Bob Cox threatened to come all the way down from up near Lake Erie. Adam Rafferty (who is performing at our new McConnell Arts Center this Thurs) is going to try to make it in time for a quick set – but, he’s DRIVING in from NYC – and, who knows how long that drive is….

Whew – I better take a quick nap – this might be a loooong night.

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: Time To Smell the Roses…

Postby RonBloor » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:44 pm

You're a good man Palmer... I sure wish I was closer. Even if a jumped in my car/van right now, I'd miss it by a good 10 hours :)
Happy bucketlisteering Marilyn ;)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Re: The Roses Have Been Smelled

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Well, Marilyn Kirtley and her friend, Regina, have come and gone, and had a blast while they were in Columbus. They continued on the interstate to Niagara Falls, NY to the beginning of Route 62 - and, are having a ball making several stops all along the way.

But, Adam Rafferty has stayed the whole week. He is the real deal, folks. His main gig while here was being the headliner at a concert Thurs night at the Peggy R McConnell Arts Center here in Worthington, Ohio - where he brought the house down and little ol' ladies to tears and screams. But, he also played coffee houses, streets, lunch counters - where ever there were folks able to enjoy his talents. And, every time the reaction from the audiences was the same..... "How in the world can one person make all that music!" One particular "usual critic" remarked, "Palmer, in my humble opinion that Adam guy is second only to Tommy Emmanuel in an entertaining guitarist."

A neat thing is that his YouTube video of him playing Billy Jean went over 1 MILLION hits while he was visiting us. I'm sure I'm not supposed to post "video" URLs in this section, sooooo I'll just say go to YouTube.com and look up ADAM RAFFERTY - and, see for your self. Again, he's the real deal, folks....

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins