Chet's CGP Degree

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's CGP Degree

Postby bill_h » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Chet's CGP degree was on display too. Does anyone know who the two people were that signed it and who presented it to him. ( And where? Was there a ceremony, etc.)
bill_h

Re: Chet's CGP Degree

Postby DWolfram » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Bill,
I'm pretty sure I authored that diploma. Can you describe it or do you have a photo? My name is on it along with my friend Robert. How was it displayed?

Thanks, David
DWolfram

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 pm

David,
It has your name and your friend Robert's on it. Can you tell us the story behind this diploma? Here's a photo that I took of it with my cell phone when I visted the display at the CMHOF. It's displayed in a matted frame on the wall in a display case if I remember right.

I noticed it's dated 1997. Chet gave himself this title somewhere in the 1980's. We are just wondering the story behind this diploma, and who the people that signed it are.

guitarchuck

Postby DWolfram » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Chuck,
At last, I finally know what happened to my “Sheepskin”. Thanks for the photo.

I mailed the degree to Chet and at the 1999 CAAS(I think) he told me he received it and would write to me about it. He never did and I never knew what happened to the diploma or what he thought about it.

Sometime after he started to use the CGP title I thought he should have a real diploma for it. I mulled over it for years how I could do it. I could go to a printer but knew I wouldn’t be satisfied with the first take and it would take a kazilllion tweaks to get it right.
When I got my own PC I learned how to use Word, Corel and Publisher. I looked at some real diplomas to get a feel for a proper layout. That was not too tough. What was tough was getting the wording and dates right or meaningful. Covering all the bases that make a CGP, a Chet Atkiins.

I also pondered the official signatures to put on the document. Since Chet gave himself the CGP that presented a problem. Who was the equal or measured up? I thought of hocking Les Paul’s and Django Rheinhart’s signatures but there might be legal issues. I really wanted to confer with Chet but was afraid he would nix the project being the humble person he was.
Then I remembered what Chet once said to his close friend Ted Walters when they pulled up to the stage door and saw me and Robert waiting as we did many times:”There is my number one and number two fans”. With a chuckle I’m sure. So I figured I could use our names but only as witnesses.
The dates were a problem too. Should I back date the document?

There were a number of things I wrung my hands about but I did as best as I could at the time hoping Chet would be somewhat amused and know it came from my heart. I am honored Chet’s estate found it worthy enough to put it in the CMHOF display.
I’ll try to remember more details and see if the Newsletter will print an expanded story.

Chetfully yours,
David Wolfram
DWolfram

Postby John Knowles » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:59 pm

David, that is a delightful story. John
John Knowles

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:07 am

David,
That's really cool! I think it would be great to have an expanded story published in the "Mister Guitar" magazine. Do you still have a copy of it on file to reprint in the magazine? If not maybe someone could take a better photo of it with a real camera at the CMHOF. My photo with the cell phone is not very good.
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:28 am

David,
I got to thinking, after you mentioned writing an expanded article. Maybe you could include all of the official "CGP" recipients in your article. I know it would take quite a bit of research, but I think most Chet fans would be interested in reading an article of this type in the "Mister Guitar" magazine. I know there are videos and photos of Tommy Emmanuel's and Paul Yandell's award presentation available on the internet. The wording on Paul's is posted here on the Chetboard. I'm sure that John Knowles would share the information about his. Someone could probably put you in touch with Steve Wariner. Jerry Reed's CGP info might be tougher to obtain. I know Tommy Emmanuel's award is on display in the Chet Atkins display at the CMHOF right now, I'm not sure if any of the others are. I'm sure this would be a great article to publish!
guitarchuck

Postby bill_h » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for the inside scoop David and thanks Chuck for the photo! I would think Chet kept it displayed somewhere at home or in his office if it made it to the exhibit. I bet it would make for an intersting article in Mr. Guitar.
bill_h

Postby DWolfram » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Chuck,
I have a copy of the degree hanging on the Chet Wall of Fame in my home. I will have a pic of it in the Newsletter with the expanded story. Your idea about putting together the history of all the CGPs is good. Someone with more energy than me should run with it.

David
DWolfram

Postby John Knowles » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:19 pm

My CGP award is in Chet's Exhibit at the Hall of Fame. They scanned it for me so I have a copy. I think the Hall of Fame couldn't track down Jerry's CGP award.

John
John Knowles

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins