Great news: The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed back in print

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Great news: The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed back in print

Postby Len R » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Craig, since Hal Leonard does not seem interested in reissuing the book/cd, can you work it out with them so you can reprint it and sell it privately? There would likely be enough interest, at least for Chet Board and CAAS members, so that a enough copies would be sold to make it worth your while, if not Hal Leonard's.

Thanks,

Len
Len R

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Len-

Sorry, no. Unfortunately, it would cost literally thousands and thousands of dollars to license and print. It would likely take years to recover the expense of a reprint, if permission were to be granted. (Most people have no idea of how expensive it is to do a guitar book.) A companion CD would involve even more licensing and manufacturing expense.

In the meantime, Funky Junk, Jerry's Breakdown, Pickie, Pickie, Pickie, The Mad Russian, Seidina (First Born), and Steeplechase Lane are available in various AGW back issues, along with more Reed arrangements like Are You from Dixie? and City of New Orleans. http://www.craigdobbins.com/AGW%20back%20issues.html

Also, my second Reed book, The Jerry Reed Collection, is still in print and available from my website.

http://www.craigdobbins.com/Reed%20Collection.html

Eventually, I hope to have all the tunes from the first book available in AGW issues.

Thanks,

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Len R » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks Craig. I did buy the second book at CAAS. Will have to hunt for #1.
Len R

Postby Angus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:21 am

Apologies for returning to this old chestnut and I hope I'm not raising false hopes, but The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed is listed on the Hal Leonard site for $22.99. When I searched for it using Book Butler, it threw up the following Amazon link alongside the usual offers at exorbitant prices: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... bookb0f-20

There's a clear indication that it can be pre-ordered and will be available from November 2. I'm lucky enough to have my own treasured copy, but I know there are many out there looking for one but understandably unwilling to pay mega bucks. Perhaps Craig can shed some light on what's going on here.
Angus

Postby craigdobbins » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:49 am

Angus-

I don't know all the details as yet, but I'm told it will be back in print soon. November 2 is the target date. I'll be talking more with Hal Leonard next week, and will post more info when I have it.

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. I didn't know any of this when I answered previously.
craigdobbins

Postby George Beasley » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:59 pm

That is good news....unless you bought a copy on eBay or are trying to sell one!

So, what are the chances that we will see a glut of copies for sell on eBay after Nov 2nd trying to take advantage of the uninformed? :)
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 am

volscoach-

Please do not download the books from these and other sites. It is illegal- without permission, and just plain wrong. Neither the publisher, Jerry's estate, nor the author receive their share from these so-called "free downloads." At best, it's like robbing the bank, and passing put the money "for free" to the public.

Craig
Last edited by craigdobbins on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craigdobbins

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:50 am

I spoke with one of the editors at Hal Leonard this morning, and the Reed book is being printed right now. It will be ready in just a few weeks.

When it is available, we will be offering it again at http://www.craigdobbins.com. We will also be exclusively offering all the songs (originally on cassette), along with some bonus material, on CD.

Stay tuned for further news...

Craig
Last edited by craigdobbins on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigdobbins

Postby Doug_H » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 pm

SON! :D
Doug_H

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Well, it's official! The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed will be re-released in November!

Hal Leonard tells me this will be a "modest printing." You may reserve your copy at http://www.craigdobbins.com/ Also available, exclusively from our website, will be a CD of all the tunes and musical examples in the book, plus pdf files with alternate fingerings and more.

We've only had the link up a few minutes, and the orders are already coming in, so don't wait too long!

Thanks for all the interest in Jerry's music!

Craig

P.S. I'll post this on the announcements page too.
craigdobbins

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins