Chet's Classical Influences

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet's Classical Influences

Postby RandeDager » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Norm, your theory about "absorbing so much guitar due to an immense practice regimen" is probably the explanation I needed and wasn't coming up with. We tend to internalize and process a lot that we can't explain but that doesn't stop us from knowing what's going on when we hear it. Lots of repetition of the "trial and error" process only increases the level of familiarity. Thanks.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby BillB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Speaking of Chet's classical influences, I just finished watching John McClellan's "The Warm Guitar of Jorge Morel", and I really enjoyed it. Some music, some interview, and some demonstration of technique (including Misionera and Take 5). I did not know that much about Jorge, and it was fascinating to hear him tell stories about his own life as well as his friendship with Chet. The music is great, and I really think that John and his associates did a wonderful job on this DVD.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:54 pm

On the subject of reading music, you almost do not have to learn to read music any more. Here is a site that will let you download and print a piece of music for a fee and it provides a player to "play it" for you so you can learn it by ear. You can sample most of the sheet music and "listen to it" before you make a purchase. There are also guitar and bass TAB sections which will allow you to play a bit of the song as a demo, too, before you make a purchase. When you purchase a piece of music, you downloard these players so you can learn the song either from the music if you're able to read or by ear if you can't. It's kind of amazing!
Ray

http://www.musicnotes.com/
Ray Bohlken

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins