I played with Chet Atkins

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

I played with Chet Atkins

Postby J J Harmon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:13 pm

After reading the unsolved thread I thought of this for a discussion. I was in the All Guitar Marching Band led by Chet but he didn't play so that doesn't count.

I played with him in 1996 at Riverfront Park in Nashville. There were about 3,000 of us but I did play with Chet.

In Oklahoma I met these two guys that said they played with Pate McEntire's Band and we played a couple of gigs. Later the promoter told me that they had just played with some guy's that "said" they played with Pate McEntire's Band and while I was there I must have ran into 200 guys that said they played with Pate McEntire's Band. And every steel player said he played with Bob Wills Band.
J J Harmon

Re: I played with Chet Atkins

Postby kentwkistler » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:31 pm

I don't mean any disrespect, but what is the gist of this post? I don't see any connection with the Chetboard, especially the final (3rd) graf which is way out in space insofar as Chet is concerned. K E N T
kentwkistler

Postby J J Harmon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:30 am

I just get a kick out of Paul saying:

"I started working with Chet in 1975 I don't think I ever met this gentleman, thanks paul"

I remember a post a few years back just after Chet's death where some girl was using Chet's name as a close friend and Paul responded in a like manner.
J J Harmon

Postby Roger Hardin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 am

I am aware of how much hype and name dropping that goes on in the music industry. I live in the Nashville area and hear it all of the time. When I made this post about Steve Mauldin I was trying to make a point of reference for the Chetboard by saying he played Bass with Chet. I didn't just pull that out of the air I remember him telling me that he worked with Chet in a note in 1982 and you can also find it on his website Bio I know this does not make it a fact but, Steve also has a client list client list big enough to choke a horse. You can probably go to Artistdirect or some other source and fact check his work with these artist. Anyway I made the post without consulting Steve, I have not talked to him in years so Steve had nothing to do with the post and probably is not even aware of the Chetboard. I don't know the details of his Work or connection with Chet. I will say this: Steve is the real deal and not some 2nd rate guitarist who depends on hype. His work speaks for itself.
Last edited by Roger Hardin on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Hardin

Postby cgprnd » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:50 am

Roger, I met you at CAAS 2009 and made it a point to attend your concert. You and I spoke afterward and I
remember you to be a very sincere person and I never doubted you. If there was any incorrect information in
your post it would have come from your source, but I would never believe it to come from you personally.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 am

Hey, JJ... I, also, played with Chet. I played with him at 78, 33 1/3, even 16 n change when I needed to slow him up "a bit." Didn't do me much good, but it looks good on the inside covers of all my albums: "Twelve Moore Toons Palmer Ain't Quite Got a Grasp On".... 1, 2, 3 and number 4 which waz a re-release of all my Super Hits.. LOLOL

I still play with Chet - but, this time it's through Transcribe at TWENTY FIVE PERCENT! Whar was this little devil back when I was wearing my needles out and scratching all my Chet records???

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Dave Lawbaugh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:08 am

Hi Guys,

I spoke with Steve Mauldin tonight and he told me about this site and this thread...and that Paul Yandell had forgotten him. I told Steve not to worry because Paul had probably forgotten me too. :lol: I played drums for Chet back in the 80's. I did a bunch of concerts with him, 3 records as I recall, and several tv shows as well. I also did a tour with Chet and Garrison Keillor while Garrison's theater in St Paul was being renovated. I have nothing but fond memories of those times. Since Chet had started as a side man, he'd been there and done that, and always treated us as equals. He'd even let me show up right at concert time when I had sessions during the day. I think he told me once that as long as I was behind him when he counted off the first song, we were good. :D He was a generous and very humorous guy, and it was a pleasure to know him in any capacity. Like so many others, I learned things from Chet that have served me well throughout my musical career.
Everything that Steve said is correct to the best of my recollections. Hey Paul, if you read this, give me a call sometime. I'm in the union book and would love to hear from you.

Dave Lawbaugh
Dave Lawbaugh

Postby Paul Yandell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Dave, I sure remember you I really don't know why I have a memory loss on Steve, anyway I hope you and your wife are well and things are going great for you, paul
Paul Yandell

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins