Help for beginners

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Help for beginners

Postby Randy Finney » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh, Ty, I don't think the Chetboard needs our bantering over Music Theory Semantics - which, in the end is meaningless to the actual music anyway - for it to have any life. It is alive and well without us - maybe even better off!

I too enjoyed our discussion and I am sure my next arrangement will have a few notes in your honor. I gotta confess that I find your contemptuous attitude towards the rest of us at the same time both harsh and entertaining.

I also gotta confess that I am very curious to hear you play. Not to hear your note choices or technique, etc. - I am sure these are all fine - but, rather, to hear the attitude of your music.

Thanks again, Ty

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby tyguy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Randy Finney wrote:Oh, Ty, I don't think the Chetboard needs our bantering over Music Theory Semantics - which, in the end is meaningless to the actual music anyway - for it to have any life. It is alive and well without us - maybe even better off!

I too enjoyed our discussion and I am sure my next arrangement will have a few notes in your honor. I gotta confess that I find your contemptuous attitude towards the rest of us at the same time both harsh and entertaining.

I also gotta confess that I am very curious to hear you play. Not to hear your note choices or technique, etc. - I am sure these are all fine - but, rather, to hear the attitude of your music.

Thanks again, Ty

Randy
Do me and the world a favor and find a Harmony I course at your local college.You will get lots of chord charts to analyze.You can give him your "opinion" on these chord changes and you will fail the course and He will laugh at you as their is only one correct answer.Opinions don't change facts.A E7 with a B bass sounds nothing like an E7 with an E bass.They offer transcription and ear training courses also. God bless, Ty M. and Bless Your Heart
tyguy

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 am

The main thing that I got out of this thread is that Julian Bream is the coolest classical guitar player of all time.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Randy Finney » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Amen, BIll.

I don't know how much Classical Guitar you have listened to but, you may want to check out John Williams' "The Great Paraguayan: Guitar Music Of Barrios", I, and many other people, consider it an absolute must have CD.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:08 am

John Williams played in a group called Sky several years ago, so he is just about as cool as J. B. Try to get a copy of their video "Sky at Westminster Abbey" which includes Recuerdos and Bach'sToccata along with some popular tunes. Since Chet recorded Recuerdos, I hope this will keep me from being hammered about posting here. KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:47 am

I do not actually own a copy of this. Thanks for helping me spend more money I don't have, Billy.

Chet also named Augustin Barrios as one of the ten most influential guitarists of the 20th Century so, I think we are both safe.

You may already know but, in case others do not, SKY has a website: http://plum.cream.org/sky/index.htm and a discussion forum.

I had John up to Toronto last year to play a concert for a guitar club I run up here. We talked about Chet, Tommy, and others. It wouldn't floor me if we hear a project from John in the future where the use of a P.A. takes on a more predominant role.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am

Jack Baker Wrote:
Dear Ty,
I've been teaching Music Composition at NYU in NYC for 30 years and your idea that an E7/B is not an E7 chord or an E chord is rather silly. It's simply an E chord in the 2nd. inversion but it is still an E7 chord or a dominant 7th chord of E. (the 7th being the added 4th tone of the chord). All this E7/B or G/B or C/G etc. is just current music language babble and simply tells the player what to play in the bass whether it's a major chord or a dominant 7th chord.

From the Professor who would Fail Randy Finney in his music theory course:

Tyguy's Absolute music Theory=Current music language babble.

This will get interesting... :lol:
roger
Roger Hardin

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 pm

I love you guys!!! The Chetboard is way more fun than practicing.

Randy
P.S. I also love the way you play, Roger.
Randy Finney

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Jack. I am doing well. I hope everything is going well for you. Thanks for chiming in on the debate this has been an absolute blast.

Thanks Randy. I loved your variation on "Waltz for the Lonely." I am also enjoying this verbal "throw down" you and Ty have going on. This is all in good fun but its very informative as well. Thanks again
Roger Hardin

Postby tyguy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Jack Baker wrote:Dear Ty,
I've been teaching Music Composition at NYU in NYC for 30 years and your idea that an E7/B is not an E7 chord or an E chord is rather silly. It's simply an E chord in the 2nd. inversion but it is still an E7 chord or a dominant 7th chord of E. (the 7th being the added 4th tone of the chord). All this E7/B or G/B or C/G etc. is just current music language babble and simply tells the player what to play in the bass whether it's a major chord or a dominant 7th chord.

As if the world needs more confusion :lol: Jack Baker NYC
The E7/B is the dominant seventh chord of A not E.The added 4th tone of any chord would make it a Sus. chord(sounds like your're calling the 7th a 4th cause it's four notes from tonic chord or scarier yet it's where your 4th finger goes on the fingerboard(I think to play a 7th you'd need 7 fingers?).The seventh tone of a chord is a b7 or major 7.Not too hard is it? Jack,they don't sound the same at all.A B note in the bass doesn't sound like a E note to me or anybody(well obviously some folks).Obviously to you!Music is what you hear and this is what this discussion is about not theory(theory doesn't play bad bass notes,people do).Furthermore most guitar players play an E9/B(9 is F#),which isn't an E chord at all but a B minor 6th(there's no E in it).If a G# bass on an E chord sounds like an E7/E or E7/B to you.Life is good.The "preferred"(what the ear wants to hear)segue from one chord to another is 4ths,5ths,and half steps not whole steps,"from inversions"(eg. E7/B to A is a bad segue).This is what makes arranging on guitar so difficult.Nuances are what separate the so,so players from the good ones!Good for you if you can't hear the nuances(they are really more than nuances)then transcribing must be real easy for you.Glad you weren't my teacher(???????).Your confusion is not only mathematical on your part but aural as well(which is what really matters). God bless, Ty M. PS I'm glad we woke up the Chetboard."Amen".
tyguy

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins