Help for beginners

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Help for beginners

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 pm

An email acquaintance asked me to recommend some learning aids for Chet-style. He's into jazz guitar at the moment and has no experience at fingerpicking. I'm self-taught and have no idea what is out there to help learn from scratch. Anybody have some recommendations and where such material might be found?

Mike
Mike Detlefsen

Re: Help for beginners

Postby Tony Enamel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Mike,

how about Buster's DVDs? Especially "Fingerstyle Guitar From The Ground Up".

http://www.melbay.com/authors.asp?author=647

Regards,

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby David Elliott » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:56 pm

I think one of the most helpful instructional books I've ever seen for the beginner, was published some years ago and entitled 'The Anthology of Fingerstyle Guitar' by Tommy Flint. I don't know if it's even still available, but you might Google it.

David
David Elliott

Postby David Elliott » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Looks like it's on Amazon-dot-com...

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Anthology ... 930&sr=8-1

David
David Elliott

Postby bill_h » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:28 pm

I was gonna recommend Buster B's "From The Ground Up" also and there's also the video that Chet and John Knowles did. I couldn't imagine any better instruction than you'd find with those aids.
bill_h

Postby Bryan B. » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 pm

I have been "deep diving" on this very same topic for for about 2 years and recommend the book/CD "Fingerstyle Guitar Method by Tommy Emmanuel available from Mel Bay.

I have Buster's Vol.1 video but don't like it as much...Tommy Emmanuel's playing technique is that same as Chet's and I have been striving for accuracy.
Bryan B.

Postby David Elliott » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm

"Tommy Emmanuel's playing technique is that same as Chet's and I have been striving for accuracy"...

I'm afraid I can't see the similarity to Chet's style and sound, in Tommy's playing. I don't mean that as a critisism of Tommy's playing, but merely as an observation. Tommy Emmanuel is most assuredly a great guitarist, but his sound (tone) and 'style' of playing is entirely different than that of Chet Atkins in my opinion.

David
David Elliott

Postby Terry Tolley » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

David Elliott wrote:Tommy Emmanuel's playing technique is that same as Chet's and I have been striving for accuracy...

I'm afraid I can't see the similarity to Chet's style and sound, in Tommy's playing.

David

David - I have to agree here. Tommy's style is as different from Chet's as Chet's is from Merle's style. They each are different directions - different sounds. The similarities are there but as for being the same....absolutely not, and thank goodness it isn't! I love the variety.
Terry Tolley

Postby cgprnd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

I'll have to agree also. Just look at the way each of them handles a thumb-pick. Study the difference in their techniques.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Roger Hardin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Rande wrote in response to Chet's and Tommy's RH Technique:
I'll have to agree also. Just look at the way each of them handles a thumb-pick. Study the difference in their techniques.

I hope I don't get into any trouble for saying this but here it is: Chet and Tommy are two of the best guitarist to ever grace this planet with their presence. They both anchor(ed) their rh pinkie on the pickguard or top when playing. Nothing wrong with that at all if it works do it. I use 4 fingers on my rh (pima) and sometimes use the pinkie for chords and if I try to anchor my pinkie I almost totally disable the "a" finger. I guess studying classical guitar may have broke me from that if I ever did it I really cannot remember. I tend to use my palm as an anchor when playing. I have also noticed while being around other thumbpickers that I seem to be the only one who does not anchor my rh pinkie. My son does not anchor but I am sure he picked that up from me.

Are there any other players (except Classical) who do not anchor with the rh pinkie?
Roger Hardin

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins