It's official! PAUL YANDELL, C.G.P.!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: It's official! PAUL YANDELL, C.G.P.!

Postby John Trahan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Congratulations! No one is more deserving of this award than Paul Yandell! "That's my opinion and it ought to be yours" to steal a quote from Mr. Atkins. The original award may have been his idea, but in the true humility that mirrored his mentor, he would never think of himself in those terms. Truth is, any who have heard him play or had any interaction with him, know that it is appropriate that he be the one to close out this C.G.P. award. IMHO, he's always had that title anyway.

Mr. Yandell, you continue to be in my prayers for health and strength. I truly hope to be able to meet you in person at CAAS sometime. God bless!
John Trahan

Postby thenorm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks, Chuck.

I was a little concerned knowing the history of the award and Paul's earlier stated feelings about it. I think Merle did a Good Thing here and also am glad she put a Lock on the award.

Good stuff all around...
thenorm

Postby GlenHines » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Congratulations, Paul! Couldn't have been awarded to a more deserving player.
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:35 pm

More details or videos would be most welcome. Inquiring minds want to know.Richard Hudson

Richard,
It was a great program. I hope they will post the video on their website for those who missed it. I missed parts of the end of the program because I was in and out of the house at the time. Ray Stevens was suposed to be there but he was sick and his Dr. said he should stay home and rest. Paul Yandell was chosen to take his spot. Paul, Steve Wariner and Billy Edd Wheeler told stories about Chet. They also showed some video clips of them performing and had some audio from some of their albums. The best part of the show was when Paul was awarded his CGP! Steve played a Martin guitar live and also did some singing. I thought Paul was looking good today. I'm sure receiving the CGP award really helped him feel better.

Two weeks from today streaming live from the CMHOF again!:
Saturday, August 27, 2:00pm
Concert: Salute to Chet Atkins by Tommy Emmanuel, C.G.P.

This should be the link to find it at on Saturday, August 27, 2:00pm:

http://www.livestream.com/countryhall
guitarchuck

Postby Bob Greenwood » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Congratulations, you deserve it.
Bob Greenwood

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:54 pm

I just noticed that the James Burton live stream from the CMHOF last month is posted to watch at:

http://www.livestream.com/countryhall

So hopefully they will post today's program with Paul receiving his CGP so those that missed it can watch.
guitarchuck

Postby BillB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm very happy for you, Paul! I've always considered you to be a CGP anyway, and now it's official. I know Chet is proud of you receiving it, and proud of Merle for making sure that it happened. This news just makes my day!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby George Beasley » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:21 pm

This just makes it official for the rest of the world....we have always known Paul was a CGP.

Paul has the pure Chet DNA in every cell of his body, and has carried the torch for FingerStyle guitar for more years than I have been alive. In the 10 years since Chet has been gone, Paul has carried on, spreading the word of Chet through his music, as well as being instrumental in producing the two best electric steel string FingerStyle guitars that have ever been made: the 6122-1959, and the 6120-CGP.

Thank you, Paul, for being there for Chet, and thank you for being here for us!

Congratulations, Paul Yandell, cgp!
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby GaryL » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:58 am

Congratulations Paul! You truely are a CPG and a Gentleman. When Chet introduced you on video for your guitar book and video - he mentioned how you would "show us how to do it." And you did, the guitar playing and the Gentlemanship.
Best Regards,
GaryL
GaryL

Postby RandeDager » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:35 am

I sure hope this will eventually be downloadable!It's ironic that I just mentioned last week about Paul receiving a C.G.P. award and then being told that he felt it was in poor taste, since he came up with the idea. It makes sense that Merle would have been the only one to make this possible and I'm really happy that she did. Congratulations to the man about whom Chet always said "........can play everything on the guitar that I do plus harmony".
Rande
RandeDager

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins