Those beautiful, amazing Chet runs!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Those beautiful, amazing Chet runs!

Postby Doug Working » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm

I know, and we are all aware that Chet regularly employed an arsenal of RUNS that he regularly interspersed into his arrangements with stunning ease. When I listen to his tunes, I hear many of them used in different arrangements to ornament and enhance those gorgeous Chet arrangements. And I'll recognize it as "Hey, I heard that one in such and such arrangement on his certain album!" But dog-gone it, I sure can't figure them out because a lot of them are pretty rapid in execution. Like Chet said to Merle : "Is anything faster, just watch it go past ya', is anything faster than this?"

What I was wondering is this: Has anyone ever catalogued those runs and offered them in a course of some kind?
Doug Working

Re: Those beautiful, amazing Chet runs!

Postby DagerRande » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Doug, I think a lot of them are tabbed out with Tabledit. I'm sure someone here has a collection. You can also record them into Audacity and slow them down. I learned them the hard way from vinyl records at 16 2/3 rpm and an octave lower. Technology has really helped in making this possible!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby AlBaggetta » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:10 am

Not sure I'd call it a course, but Craig Dobbins has done a superb job of cataloging a lot of Chet's runs. Available in Mister Guitar and at Craigdobbins.com.
Al B.
AlBaggetta

Postby Doug Working » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm

I'll check him out. I love Craig's playing. I am coveting that beautiful guitar he plays. I believe it is purchasable for a hefty price.
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Doug, here is a link to the Table Edit View app for IPOD. I use the one for Windows systems and it really works well for me. If you Google "Free Tabledit files, many web sites will show up with great tabs of Chet's songs, as well as Merle, Jerry, Paul, Marcel Dadi, and others who play this style. Give it a try and let us know how it worked out for you. There's an app for Android systems, too. I hope you find it useful and enjoy it. I sure have learned a lot from the TABs I've seen and used.
There are demos of TABLE edit videos on Youtube. I don't know if there are any demos for the IPOD or not.
Take care,
Ray

http://www.tabledit.com/ios/tv_e.shtml
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank-you, Ray. I love the Chet Board. Everyone here is always generously helpful. It's a great place to talk about Mr Guitar and get hints on how to be a better player.

Doug
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins