Snowbird: Delay settings, etc...

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Snowbird: Delay settings, etc...

Postby ajbremer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm pluging my guitar into my mac using Logic Pro X software and then adding effects for the delay for playing Chet's Snowbird. There are a lot of settings and many different types of delays to choose from within Logic. The one that seems best to me is: Tape Delay. I'm wondering if anyone else has used Logic along with Snowbird. Some of the settings include not only the milliseconds but also the number of times the delay sounds after the initial strike, how loud or soft it goes on for, etc. Anyone familiar with this type of setup? One last question, what's a good delay pedal to purchase for doing Snowbird?
ajbremer

Re: Snowbird: Delay settings, etc...

Postby albertgen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm

I think Paul mentioned the delay settings on Fretboard once. I remember Chet saying when he hit a note it came out as triplets. It sure is beautiful the way Chet played that tune! Al
albertgen

Postby ajbremer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:31 pm

As you all most likely know, Matt Cowe plays a great Snowbird https://youtu.be/8I8lFHUnmbY. I found out that he also uses Logic Pro X on his Mac when he does Snowbird. Here are the settings that he uses:

He uses the 'Guitar Pedalboard' plugin and 'True Tape Delay' from there.
The settings within that are:
Lo Cut: 20Hz
Hi Cut: 1700Hz
Dirt: 6
Flutter: 9
Time: 430ms
Mix: 29%
ajbremer

Postby Norm » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:36 am

This guy does a marvelous job of playing Chet stuff and his videos lay it all out for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgyL0LOQyK0

Here he demonstrates how to do a "Super Lick" used in Snowbird and also shows how to set the echo. The echo part is really quite simple and something you just set by ear.

As for pedals and gadgets to create echo... take a friend who plays well to a guitar store and try the units offered. Let him play the guitar while you fool with the knobs on the unit and buy the one that does what you want it to do for the money you want to spend
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby ajbremer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Where can I buy a backing track for Snowbird? I know where to get Matt Cowes backing track but I'm wondering if there are any others to choose from?
ajbremer

Postby DagerRande » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:58 pm

I now have that program but need to get a good interface and then get into using it properly.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Steve Moran » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:50 am

Do any of you know the delay settings Paul Yandell said Chet used for Snowbird?
Thanks.
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby Steve Moran » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:59 am

Also, in the Snowbird version on Youtube where Chet, Paul, and the band are dressed in blue suits, have any of you figured out the middle chords in the song where it transitions from one key to another? Thanks for any help you can give.
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby Norm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Most of Chet's echo effects were done in the studio. When he was on the road (ergo what you see on TV clips) he used a variety of units over the years.

We need to be careful about over-obsessing about specific settings he may or may not have used on echo-fancy songs like 'Snowbird'.' I think the last unit he used is no longer manufactured, as a matter of fact. The settings have as much to do with ones physical attack and intended speed of the song too, and those things you can't always dial in.

You have to fiddle with it a bit and listen to the result you get... like the guy I posted. He set it for (what sounded like) one repeat and played a bit to see if it worked. In his case it did. It may have taken him a few minutes to get there but once he did you can bet he wrote it down.

You do the same and note your personal settings.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby ajbremer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 pm

I've been having a lot of fun learning Snowbird. I'm using Matt Cowe's backing tracks to play along with. Matt did an awesome job of providing us with 40 backing tracks by way of 5 album choices of Chets greatest tunes. You can find them here: https://mattcowe.bandcamp.com/

One thing I find strange, when I play along with Chet's recorded version of Snowbird, I find that I have to tune my guitar about 10 to 12 cents higher than normal - I don't know if there's something wrong with the track I have or it actually was recorded in a slightely higher pitch. Either way, I'm having a great time. One more thing though...

The only version of tab that I could find was Matt's and I had to pay $20 bucks to get it. It includes a Skype lesson but it was the tab that I was mainly interested in. I own most of the books that have been put out with Chet tabs in them and none of them include Snowbird...at least in all the books I own. Of course you can find the tab to Snowbird online but it all is no where's near close to the actual tune. Anyone know of any other Snowbird tab?
ajbremer

Next

Return to Support