Real names vs Nicknames

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Real names vs Nicknames

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm

I do wish you would require that people post using their real names instead of hiding behind a nickname. If you are going to be critical or praise something at least show who you really are. I hate nicknames on forums. Anyone else feel the same way as I do?
Roger Pratt

Re: Real names vs Nicknames

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Roger,
As a general rule most boards people use nickname type usernames. It has something to do with internet privacy issues I think. Some people give out way too much information that crooks take advantage of. Here on the Chetboard we have been a closer family than most other types of boards. I personally like to know who the people are, especially since we get to know some of them at CAAS. When I signed up on this new Chetboard I automaticlly put my nickname that I use everywhere else as my username. After I had already signed up I thought "I should have put my name". I tried to go back and change it, but I don't think you can now. So I just added my name on the automatic signature line that prints it at the bottom of all my messages.
guitarchuck

Postby Tompicks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Not sure why nicknames got so prevalent in online forums, probably had to do with security/privacy or people with long, hard to decifer names.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Here's how you decipher it: Swick-er-ath.
guitarchuck

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm not going to say that I haven't used a nickname before because I have in the past. I can see where it could be necessary for the reasons stated but I just don't like being answered by oomgawah or sneekysnake when I post on a "Friendly" board like this one.
Roger Pratt

Postby chris sanders » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:08 am

I agree with Roger.
chris sanders

Postby RonBloor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 am

If you wonder who is posting what, you can go to the members list (click on members at the top) then find the member(s) in question and then click on the number under the posts column... It brings up all the posts that a particular member has posted. The member may have put his/her name in one of his/her posts...
It's interesting just to see what kind of things people post to the forum. If you are nosy like me ;)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby stambi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:14 am

I also put my nickname as username by mistake. (like guitarchuck do). Unfortunatelly It seems it can't be changed any more. If somebody know how to do it please describe the procedure.
boris stambuk
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby RonBloor » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 am

As far as I know Boris, you must create a new ID with a username that reflects your real name. The old ID will just be dormant, unless you want to use both of them :)

stambi wrote:I also put my nickname as username by mistake. (like guitarchuck do). Unfortunatelly It seems it can't be changed any more. If somebody know how to do it please describe the procedure.
boris stambuk
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:13 am

Roger,
I've followed Chuck's advice and added a signature to my profile so my posts can be identified by my friends from the old Chetboard. I'm glad to see so many making the transition, especially Paul Yandell whose contributions have meant so much. I'm finding the new format easy to use and is more in line with other forums which should attract new players and Chet fans.

Thanks,
Ronnie Evans
North Carolina
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Next

Return to Support