Romance de Amor - a different key

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Romance de Amor - a different key

Postby amdyck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Has anyone played this in another key ? I seem to have trouble playing the 2nd part (which is in a different key).
I am just looking for an easier version - even if it's in altered tuning. Thanks
amdyck

Re: Romance de Amor - a different key

Postby bill_h » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Is this the anonomous tune that's also called "Romance" or "Spanish Romance" that starts out in E minor and the B section is in E major? If so, I've never heard of it being in a different key or tuning. In standard tuning I can't picture it working better in a key other than E minor/Major.

You may already be doing this but if I may suggest, study how many fingers you actually need when fretting notes in the 2nd section. This tune is so guitaristic that some players will try to make the entire chord when they may only need two fingers on the fretboard for the section that's based on the E chord or maybe only two fingers besides the barre at the 7th fret for the part that coincides with a B chord.

Hope this helps provided we are talking about the same piece and I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know.
bill_h

Postby amdyck » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks Bill. Another name for it is "Romance" or "Jeux Interdits" (Forbidden Games). There might even have been a French movie by this name in which the tune was repeatedly played. (Like in "the Third Man")

I will look at the tune and see where I can avoid barring. Fact is, I seem to be managing the "bridge" part better as I practice. I could play this tune reasonably well when I was 25. Now that I am 60-something, arthritis has stiffened my right thumb a bit so I gotta use a flat pick and 2 fingers to play those *#@%* triplets. Loads o laughs. Alan
amdyck

Postby bill_h » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Looks like we're talking about 2 different tunes after all. Good luck finding another arrangement or working it out in E.
bill_h

Postby bill raymond » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Bill, I believe you are talking about the same tune. "Romance" was used as the background music in the French film of, I believe, 1954, Jeux Interdits. It was played by the Spanish guitarist, Narciso Yepes who later took up the 10 string guitar (What? Are 6 strings not enough?!). The tune is of anonymous authorship, though Yepes at times claimed to have written it. In fact, it predates him and he only arranged it for the movie soundtrack. Your comments on playing it are spot on.
bill raymond

Postby bill_h » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the input Bill. I was not aware that "Romance/Spanish Romance" had yet another name.
bill_h

Postby RomanceOsborn » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:29 am

I've never heard of it being in a different key or tuning.
gclub ผ่านเว็บ
RomanceOsborn

Return to Support