Bonanza

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Re: Bonanza

Postby EddieP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:20 am

The original theme to Bonanza had Joe Maphis playing the guitar part. They had a orchestra behind him. Merle Travis said" Some of the orchestra guys was being cute with Joe and asked do you want a music stand, and Joe replied" Hell yes, and turned it sideways and put his coffee on it." They redid it toward the end of the series and took Joe out of it, but the original had him playing the double neck with his Standel amp. Eddie P.
EddieP

Postby Bob key » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Eddie,Thanks for that story,you know I thought he told me he did it but that was in the 60,s a long time ago and at 75 the memory isnt what it once was,but I still cherish all the memories from those years when country music,was country music.boy just playin all those smokey old bar rooms,being on shows with what they call country legends today and ill tell you the werent only legends for there music they were real people.

Thanks Bob
Bob key

Postby EddieP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 am

It's a little scary to think that in just a few years young folks may not know who did what. I thought the Bonanza thing was well established in pickers minds as to who played it. It was one of Joe's biggest things he did in his career and he always featured it. He played on the first Ricky Nelson recordings and played on This Old House, and in the movie Thunder Road. He could play Travis things so good you can't tell him from Merle unless he does something single string in the part. Lots of folks hear Hank Thompson's album that has Paper Doll on it and say, Wow was Merle ever picking on that. Fact is that Merle was in the hospital and Joe used Merle's 400 to record that album with Hank. You can tell it's Joe when he does some of his single string licks. I'm sure glad young folks have access to things like Chet Board to keep alive our heores like Chet, Merle, Jerry Reed, and many more like Joe Maphis. EP
EddieP

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 am

Eddie, years ago when I first heard Paper Doll, I didn't know any better and always thought it was Merle Travis. I didn't know any better until you told me a few years ago.
Richard Hudson

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am

I found a link to Hank Thompson's Paper Doll on Youtube. I really enjoyed listening to it. I hadn't heard Hank Thompson for a long time and the guitar playing was great.
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OFYqTA-mNw
Ray Bohlken

Postby bill_h » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 pm

I wonder if the "klasskle" players in the orchestra were being smart alecks or if it was done in good fun. Looks like Joe got the best of them either way!

Someone asked Tommy Tedesco once if he did anything to warm up before a recording session. He said he always has a cup of coffee and before he quit smoking he'd always have a cigarette too. They just don't make 'em like Joe Maphis, Merle Travis, and Tommy Tedesco anymore.

On a different thread someone insinuated something to the effect that sometimes kids will come to CAAS expecting to be immediately held in the same regard as the greats. They could learn a thing or two about speed from listening to Joe Maphis! Joe didn't just barely tickle the strings with the tip of the pick. He dug the pick in there and bossed those strings when he played!

There's also this concept of playing behind the beat so the music doesn't sound rushed. Speed's not worth a dime in my opinion if everything's played right on the beat. Some of the kids need to listen a little closer to Joe Maphis as well as the adults who are constantly patting them on the back and tooting their horns. Unfortunately I believe some of the kids are not going to fully realize their potential because they're being duped into thinking that they're already there.
bill_h

Postby Mike Nye » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

bill_h wrote:Someone asked Tommy Tedesco once if he did anything to warm up before a recording session. He said he always has a cup of coffee and before he quit smoking he'd always have a cigarette too. They just don't make 'em like Joe Maphis, Merle Travis, and Tommy Tedesco anymore.

Does anyone here know what else they all had in common ? ? ?
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby bill_h » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:50 pm

I give up Mike, what?
bill_h

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:57 pm

bill_h wrote:I give up Mike, what?

They all died of LUNG CANCER / EMPHYSEMA from SMOKING ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby EddieP » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 am

Merle didn't have lung cancer or emypysemia. He died of heart failure.
EddieP

PreviousNext

Return to Support