chets gibson classic guitar

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Re: chets gibson classic guitar

Postby jay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

hmmm...I posted something earlier that didn't make it, it seems...
The problem is: (A-K) X 100 = 1100 instruments, not 1000?

I am not sure where the 1000 # came from but I would imagine that QC pushed some to 2nds and some got culled, like in any production process...this could really be qualified as a "Limited Production" in some ways because they were produced at the Custom Shop with a hybrid serialization.

I took possession of K-047 in July 1982, so I would assume your K-043 would have been around that time also. Definitely among the first ones ever made.

My thoughts are they they made all the necks at one time and they stamped them sequentially, beginning with A. Being you bought yours in the middle of the year, I would assume that assembly was done randomly. So Bill, you probably got one of the last necks made, but your CE made it out of the factory in the middle of production. I remember someone on the board owning A002, I believe, at one time.

It is lame that Gibson didn't deal with this as part of its construction process

Norm, I will look at mine when I get home, but I think this was incorporated into the guitar at some point. I honestly think mine has foil in the compartment. I think Gibson made several changes to the model throughout its run in several areas...
jay kantor
jay

Postby Roger Crews » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 pm

thanx for the replies coming in now . this is much closer to what one would expect from the folks who come and live here so to speak.

sharing knowledge and experience about our love of the guitar and music . some of us have had the good fortune coming by this with ease , while others much trail and error are involved . me being part of the latter.

more info concerning my problem is i never had this problem until recently which occurred instantly after changing the battery hoping to correct some issues with the pickup and the high e string . was told this by a close friend who has built his on guitar more than once and has repaired these guitar before , stated that more times than not a low battery can cause such strange issues .

the cavity mentioned on my guitar appears to have a black coating applied, don't know if this was standard , or done by someone else before me . I mentioned in first post i think,i purchased my guitar from Mr Rick Allred who should be well known by fellas here who have been to caas

should i consider trying the foil i would assume i need to carefully remove and get the internal parts there out of the way to line the cavity with the foil . do i also need to try and line the hole where the guitar plug goes or the female end of the connection . also as far as a wire, i saw it in a video on youtube about the guitar , my guitar doesn't have this wire or i should say i have never noticed it over the years
Roger Crews

Postby jay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Wished I had an 82...just got an email from a guy today stating that these Alpha-numeric CE(c)'s were serialized with the standard Gibson method.

They were serialized in the electronics cavity- you'll see it on the rim when you take off the cover.

Who knew?
I need a witness...
Last edited by jay on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
jay kantor
jay

Postby jay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:42 pm

i consider trying the foil i would assume i need to carefully remove and get the internal parts there out of the way to line the cavity with the foil .

Roger...let me get mine out to see if it was foiled...if it is, I will take a picture of it and post that here.
jay kantor
jay

Postby David Elliott » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:06 pm

jay wrote:
i consider trying the foil i would assume i need to carefully remove and get the internal parts there out of the way to line the cavity with the foil .

Roger...let me get mine out to see if it was foiled...if it is, I will take a picture of it and post that here.

Roger,
I did not remove anything (as best I can remember), but just slipped the foil around and under (BE CAREFUL!) the little volume wheels and battery clip and other parts...and pushed the foil all around the edge or rim of the cavity. Again, and I can't stress this enough, those tiny little wires Gibson used (are ridiculous) are hard to re-solder if you break one, (which I did), so use extreme care!

David
David Elliott

Postby jay » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Well...my bad, no silver lining, but I will attach a picture anyway because although I imagine the boards are different, you might be able to see something that makes you go hmmmm.
jay kantor
jay

Postby RonBloor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:05 am

My 89 CE definitely has the foil in the cavity, so I'm guessing that Gibson decided to use foil instead of the black conductive coating.. Perhaps not so conductive coating!! The article that David posted is pretty in depth and has other ideas but it would seem to me that just putting some foil tape in that cavity would be fairly easy to try.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby johnsw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:05 am

I checked my CE last evening. I've also got an '82 Custom Shop serial number H-094. I don't have the yellow wire but the cavity cover does have foil on it. The cavity is painted - not sure if it's conductive.

Since I'm only a parlor player, I don't need to crank my amp up much (the fewer people that hear my mistakes, the better off I like it) but so far haven't had a poblem with hum.

John
Last edited by johnsw on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnsw

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 am

Here's another thing I might add: On Paul Yandell's Gibson Studio CE that he recorded his "Going Home" cd on, he painted the bridge with the black conductive carbon paint. He said he painted it for shielding and low noise. The end caps of the pickup weren't painted. Here's a photo, not a very good photo, but the only one that I could find at the moment:

I owned this guitar at one time. I played it for a little over 4 years. Out of all the guitars that I've owned and sold (and that's been alot!), that's one guitar that I have wished over and over again that I had never sold. (Another is my flame maple orange Gibson Country Gentleman).
guitarchuck

Postby Roger Crews » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 am

jay wrote:Well...my bad, no silver lining, but I will attach a picture anyway because although I imagine the boards are different, you might be able to see something that makes you go hmmmm.

hmmmmmm indeed i tryed to attach a pic of mine , but cant get it off my phone . but mine has a ribbon inside instead of like your also not as many wires i dont think . will try and get help on the attachment
lol i cant even get it off the phone to the pc .
Roger Crews

PreviousNext

Return to Support