chets gibson classic guitar

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

chets gibson classic guitar

Postby Roger Crews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:01 pm

hey guys . need to ask a question about these guitars . i was messing around on youtube and came across a video on setting up the guitar . i would never change mine since i got the guitar from rick allredd . recon he has it setup just fine .
any way my question is this . in that video the guy was showing the inside of the guitar where you would go to adjust the pickup and i saw a cable or wire that looks like it went between the cover plate and the guitar . is this on all models of the guitar ?
i havent changed the battery in mine in a very long time and was told if i did it might cure a problem i was having . i changed the battery today and noticed the wire is not on my guitar and i also now have a hum i cant get rid of just yet .
my guitar model no . is k 043 made in usa . custom shop edition .

i have had the guitar for several years now , and starting to play again , hope i dont have a major problem .
thanx
Roger Crews

Re: chets gibson classic guitar

Postby bill park » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Roger -
Many of those very early Gibson CE/CEC's had pickup problems. The CEC I purchased new in 1982 was Serial K-047 (very near yours), and I had to have the pickup replaced under warranty after a few years. If your pickup appears to be original, you may have luck discussing it with Gibson under their lifetime warranty.
Bill
bill park

Postby Roger Crews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 pm

thanx bill didnt know about the warranty . is your from the custom shop as well? and what about the wire i saw does yours have one ?
Roger Crews

Postby bill park » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:56 pm

All of the initial production of the CE/CEC (circa 1982) was from the Kalamazoo Custom Shop (before production later shifted to Nashville). They built about 900 CE's and 100 CEC's and the serial numbers on those instruments began with a letter (A-019, E-052, K-047, etc.).

Sorry, I don't remember about the wire - I sold mine a long time ago.

Bill
bill park

Postby Roger Crews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 pm

thanx bill lots of info there . so if i understand what you are saying they only built 100 classics there and about 800 steel strings . and i have one of the first 100 . hmmm thats cool if its true .
where can i go to get the whole story on this
Roger Crews

Postby bill park » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:45 pm

No, they were all nylon-string classicals - 900 CE's (narrow neck) and 100 CEC's (wide neck) in the first run at the Kalamazoo Custom Shop.

The SST (steel-string) wasn't introduced until a few years later.

Bill
bill park

Postby Roger Crews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:50 pm

thanx again sir
i now know which one i have mines has to be a cec. its like playing a 2x4 . since my no. is k043 eactlly how do i know what no. in the whole order of thing is it
Roger Crews

Postby bill park » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:23 pm

If your fingerboard is ebony with a 2" nut width, it's a CEC. The CE board was rosewood with a narrower nut width (about 1 13/16").

Roger Crews wrote: its like playing a 2x4

At the time (1982), I thought the neck of the CEC was too "square" also - it had huge shoulders. I actually had the shoulders on my CEC shaved down by a luthier so the back was more rounded. Funny how time changes your perception of neck feel, because today I much prefer a neck with big shoulders!

Roger Crews wrote:since my no. is k043 eactlly how do i know what no. in the whole order of thing is it

I took possession of K-047 in July 1982, so I would assume your K-043 would have been around that time also. Definitely among the first ones ever made.

Bill
bill park

Postby Roger Crews » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm

thank you sir for your replies . learning a few things today . i tried doing the math and if they only made 900 the math formula i was using doesn't work . trying to figure out what no. would apply to 1 in 900. for my guitar.

doesn't really matter , i anit selling it for many reasons . just wanted to know what i have by others standards . i once thought i had a country gent that was made the same time as chets . my no. was only 3 or 4 a way from chets . paul wanted to see it and i took pics and sent them to him . he was able to determine by the head stock that my guitar is from the late 60s early 70s. busted my bubble doncha know .
have another question . concerning the hum in my guitar from today . it seems there is a black coating in the pocket were everything is at . when i touch that coating the hum gets much lower . whats up with that . its just a coating as far as i can see.
Roger Crews

Postby Norm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 pm

You have a grounding/shielding issue of some sort.
I'm betting the noise goes away if you touch the metal part of the cord insertion point on the guitar.

My Paul Yandell archive has this to say:

"...One thing I learned from him (Chet) , the Gibson CEC and CE, Studio guitars aren't shielded very well and when you try to record with them you get a low frequency hum, Chet used to take a wire and connect it to his guitar and then the other end to his watch, it grounds out the hum. I have a wire with a clip on both ends I do that when I record..."
Paul Yandell_cgp
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Next

Return to Support